Saturday, March 15, 2008

Searching for True Love

How many years had I longed and urgently searched for true love? How many nights had I laid awake, dreaming of a beautiful romance, a lasting relationship that wouldn't end in heartache?

I yearned to be loved and cherished. I had dreamed of a perfect love story for my entire life. But somewhere in the midst of the endless cycle of one temporary romance after the next, my dreams had shattered right along with the broken and fragmented pieces of my heart... =(

I had asked others for advice. Those from the older generation had simply given guidelines to follow, which were so completely out of touch with the reality of my world that they were worthless to me. As a Christian, I had listened carefully to the instructions given by the church leaders, and tried to follow the Christian rules of dating. But their rules never protected me from a broken heart and shattered life.

When I turned to those in the younger generation, I found they were all in the same boat I was in; an endless cycle of shallow and cheap romances that never lasted and left us emotionally bleeding and insecure. In fact, the pain I experienced was small compared to what many of my friends had gone through.

As I lay on my bed pondering these thoughts, I found myself inwardly forming a desperate prayer.

"God, where are You in this?" my heart cried silently. "I'm Your child. All my life, You know I've longed for something beautiful. I've searched for true love. Does a pure and perfect romance even exist in this dark world of lust and perversion and sin? Should I even dare to dream of something beyond the shallow, meaningless, cheap version of love I've known so far?"

Then came a soft, gentle tugging upon my heart. Suddenly I somehow knew that my life didn't have to be this way and that God had something better for me. It was almost as if God himself was reminding me, "I Am the Author of True Love; I Am the Creator of Romance."

A quiet challenge deeply touched my spirit in that moment, as if God was tenderly standing before me, with tears of boundless love in His eyes, whispering to my heart, "You've searched for true love in your own way. But My ways are not your ways. I want to script a beautiful tale just for you, but first you must trust Me with the pen of this precious area of your life. Will you let Me write your love story?"

This journey is for anyone who's searching for the beauty of true and lasting love, for romance in its purest form, and is willing to do whatever it takes in order to find it. This journey is for anyone who has made mistakes, whether small or big, and said, "It's too late for me" to discover that kind of love. It's a journey for anyone who's tired of the same old scene of physically intense relationships, devoid of meaning and purpose.

This journey is for anyone who will dare to dream beyond the cheap and diluted romance our culture offers and hold out for an infinitely better way. This journey is even for the skeptic, who doubts that such a way exists.

No matter where you are or where you've been... this invitation is for YOU. The very One who's the Author of all true love and romance is standing before you, asking you gently,

"Will you let Me write your love story?"

If you'll trust Him enough to give Him the pen of your life, you're in for a journey that will forever spoil you for the ordinary. It's a journey on which you'll discover perfect love and pure romance as it was truly intended to be.

No comments: