Monday, October 10, 2005

1st Day Of Internship At Batey Ads

The 1st person I spoke to at Batey Ads today was Ms. Jackye Tan. I think she's the CEO's Personal Assistant... then she explained the rules and regulations to me, as well as my schedule for the whole 3 months. Just the basic stuff... and then she introduced me to my 1st mentor (I have 6 mentors altogether). My 1st mentor is Abbasher Ariff aka Abbas, the Group Account Director. He's a really nice man... he made me feel right at home by introducing me to everyone in the agency. Abbas lemme borrow some of his books home too... hehehe...

At around noon, my 2nd mentor, Eric Foo, the Strategic Planning Director, gave me a looooooooong lecture on advertising... hahaha... I just sat there and listen to him for about 45 mins and when I came out of his room, Abbas was like, "That dude can REALLY talk, huh?" Hahaha... Anywayz, Eric taught me how to fill in a JOB REQUISITION FORM and how to write a CREATIVE REQUISITION AND BRIEF for the Telekom account. I even have my own e-mail account at Batey Ads now. It's michelle.tai@bateyredcell.com.my.

Eric also taught me that psychographics are not just about the lifestyles of the consumer but the emotions of the consumer at certain hours of the day are crucial as well. E.g. One may feel crappy in the morning, more relaxed during lunchtime, more receptive towards ads when watching TV with kids or reading newspaper in the evening, etc. We should know the right time to communicate to these ppl so that they would pay full attention to the advertising message.

Besides that, brand personality is also important in bridging the gap between the end consumer and the product. Many products (esp. FMCG) have very little differentiation in terms of attributes. In order to differentiate the products, marketers have to give the product a personality (a certain image) that suits the target audience's areas of interest.

Anywayz, I'm going to the recording studio tomorrow with some of my colleagues to see how they record a radio ad. Then later this week and next week, the AV Director, Ronnie Lim is gonna bring me to a music video shoot... =)

No comments: