Sunday, July 26, 2009

Yasmin the Storyteller (7 January 1958 - 25 July 2009)

A visionary filmmaker of unparalleled storytelling ability, someone so blessed with the ability to reach into our hearts and minds to produce films of a quality that has never before been matched, Yasmin Ahmad, born 1958, has passed away a few hours ago.

I am very upset that the person I have always wanted to work with is gone.

I am still in shock.

And I am heartbroken.


"Kaulah satu-satunya di antara berjuta insan teristimewa. Patah tak tumbuh lagi, hilang belum berganti... kerana kau tersendiri. Kau kebanggaan kita, kau budayawan bangsa. Engkau... LAGENDA."


It is a truly monumental loss for Malaysia. I remember watching 'Sepet' and 'Gubra' and I understood how significant those films were to the Malaysian collective. I understood how significant she was as a director. Her movies were leagues above the rest in the Malaysian film industry and her advertisements were always superb.

May she rest in peace, and may God watch over her soul.

No comments: